This Album documents that portion of the Bell Farm that was sold to, and subsequentyly developed by, Lord Brassey in the late 1880s and 1890s. It includes at least two farms, plus an Anglican Church and Rectory; and a creamery:
- Sunbeam Farm - located southwest of Indian Head
- Canadian Alliance Farm - exact location undetermined
- St John the Devine Anglican Church and Rectory (Bishop's Court)
- Creamery - erected west of Bishop's Court
The large light-coloured two storey brick building was the headquarters for the Canadian Alliance Farm.
1 photoThe Creamery was erected west of the Anglican Church and Rectory. Part of it is visible at the far left of this image.
- 1 - Lord Thomas Brassey - bought Bell Farm lands in late 1880 and 1890s
- 2 - James A.M. Aikins - Lord Brassey 's Winnipeg based lawyer
James Albert Manning Aikins (1851-1929) was a Winnipeg-based lawyer who represented Lord Brassey during negotiations to buy Bell Farm lands in the late 1880s and early 1890s. He was a fairly regular visitor to the Indian Head-Qu'Appelle area, either on business or for pleasure, joining in various duck hunting expeditions in the Qu'Appelle Valley. James Aikins was prominently featured in the "Winnipeg Tribune" obituary notice for Katherine Bell on Oct. 16, 1895 when the special CPR train carrying her remains and Major Bell arrived in Winnipeg en route to Brockville, Ontario.
Memorable Manitobans: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/people/aikins_jam.shtml "Winnipeg Tribune": 16 Oct., 1895 - Remains of Mrs. Bell.
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.