- 1930s - Edwin and Marguerite Haid - Bell-Holden Farm neighbours
The Haid family lived on a farm located just south of the Bell Farm headquarters from 1935 until 1949. - Edwin and Marguerite Haid lived on a farm located on a half section just south of the Bell Farm headquarters from 1935 until 1949. Their family included: Edith (1917-1955), Lloyd (1919-2001), Norman (1923-1992), Marjorie (1929-), Fred (1932-) and Edwin Jr. (1941-). Edwin Joseph Haid (1896-1967) was originally from Hawksville, Ontario and Marguerite Honora Schmous (1899-1981), came from Wellesley Township, Ontario. During the early 1920s, they farmed east of Briercrest, and their family continued to operate that farm until 2010. In 1935 the Haids bought a second farm, this one located just north of Indian Head, on land once farmed by Major Bell. (The E.J. Boooks family lived in the Bell Farmhouse at that time.) The Haid's farm came with three granaries which stood in a row, one being used as a chop bin with a chopper; the other two held grain. There was a Texaco Service Station located at what was called “The Haids’ corner” -- which was later moved to a new location in town, on Grand Avenue. The Haids had built a larger granary near the Texaco Station. When Texaco moved away, they offered to the Haids a building where they had kept the soft drinks. The Haids pulled it with the tractor over near that larger granary. Fred Haid called the Texaco building the “Coca Cola” building. SOURCES: Haid family correspondence - 2017 Research by: Jahzi Van Iderstine and Fred Haid, and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- 1944 - Cottage 6-7 - Mrs. Irene Margaret (W.H.) Martin
Mrs. Irene Martin outside her home - two Bell Farm Cottages linked with a common central hallway. They moved here around 1925-26. SOURCE: The Country Guide, Vol. 63, April 1944, p. 57 - https://archive.org/details/N027569/page/57/mode/2up RESEARCH BY: Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.
- 1944 - Cottages 6-7 - Martin-Willerth House - exterior
Two Bell Farm Cottages linked with a common hallway and central entry below the dormer. SOURCE: The Country Guide, Vol. 63, April 1944, p. 57 - https://archive.org/details/N027569/page/57/mode/2up RESEARCH BY: Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.
- 1944 - Cottages 6-7 - Martin-Willerth House - fireplace
Detail of the fireplace in the Martin house. SOURCE: The Country Guide, Vol. 63, April 1944, p. 57 - https://archive.org/details/N027569/page/57/mode/2up RESEARCH BY: Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.
- 1950s - Bell Barn - pre1956
Bell Barn photo from a 1956 newspaper - November 15, 1956 - The Bell Barn as documented for an article by Violet McNaughton in the Western Producer newspaper, p. 16. Photo likely taken some time before 1956. (Source: Sask. Archives: R-E 131)
- 1950s - Bell Farmhouse - north side, ca. 1955
Close up view of the north side of the original Bell Farmhouse from the barn. This photo was printed in May 1956 - probably taken in 1955. SOURCE: Libby [Bell] MacAulay; now in Sask. Archives, Regina
- 1950s - Demolition of the Bell Farmhouse, with Barn in background - pre1956
1949 - The Bell Farmhouse, in the process of being demolished, as documented in an article 7 years later by Violet McNaughton in the Western Producer newspaper. 15 Nov. 1956, p. 16. (Source: Sask. Archives: R-E 131)
- 1955 - Bell Barn - July 1955
Photo by: Mike Kesterton - Photo Services - 55-152-08 - The Bell Barn - July 1955 - probably photographed after the Bell Farmhouse was demolished. Source: Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan: Photo Services Collection
- 1955 - Bell Farm - July 1955
Photo by: Mike Kesterton - Photo Services 55-152-09 - The Bell Barn - July - 1955 - probably photographed after the Bell Farmhouse was demolished. Source: Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan: Photo Services Collection
- 1955 - Original Wooden Historic Marker for Bell Farm - 1955
SAB_GM_R-A4193 - When the provincial government initiated its program to commemorate historic sites for the 1955 Jubilee Celebrations, one of the first to be erected was this marker, located at India Head, at the intersection of Highways 1 and 56. The text reads: The Bell Farm once occupied the surrounding district. It was controlled by the Qu'Appelle Valley Farming Company and managed by Major W.R. Bell. Betweenn1882 and 1889 the company settled more than 100 tenant farmers on 53,000 acres. Farming was attempted on such a large scale that 45 binders were sometimes seen harvesting a single field. In 1883 the company secured and subdivided the townsite of Indian Head. The farm lost heavily due to severe frost and drought. Its operations were almost completely suspended during the rebellion of 1885. Forty thousand acres were eventually sold to the Brassey Colonization Company. Major Bell bought the rest and farmed it for several years. The round stone stable of the Bell Farm stands two miles north on No. 56 highway. The Dominion Experimental Farm, one mile east, was once part of the farm."
- 1956 - Aerial view of the Bell Barn and new house - 20 August, 1956.
Close-up view of the round stone Bell Barn, erected in 1882 and modified in the mid 1920, when the current round silo replaced the octagonal lookout tower. The small white frame house replaced the original two storey stone Be;ll Farm house in the early 1950s. (SOURCE: Original: Continental Air Photo, Edmonton; Current: Ageold Aerial Farm Photo Ltd., Regina)
- 1956 - Bell Barn ca. 1955
Close up view of the Bell Barn from the southeast. This photo was printed in May 1956 - probably taken in 1955. (SOURCE: Libby [Bell] MacAulay; now in Sask. Archives, Regina)
- 1960s - Bell Barn in 1960s
The Bell Barn in the 1960s. The vast open prairie is still evident almost a century after the barn wa constructed. (Source: Dan Loran)
- 1960s - Bell Family Residence in Winnipeg, Manitoba, ca. 1960
This two storey frame residence at 147 Carlton Street was the home of Major and Catherine Bell and their children after they moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba. Major Bell was living here when he died in 1913. This view is from the newspaper article by Lillian Gibbons. SOURCE: Winnipeg Free Press, ca.1960.
- 1970s - Provincial Historic Marker - 1970s
replaced the 1955 wooden marker - For details on the text, see the 1955 wooden marker. The wooden historic markers were replaced in the 1970s by bronze and aluminum markers, deemed to be more durable. This aluminum marker originally stood at the intersection of Highways 1 and 56. It was relocated to North Railway Street, near Grand Avenue at a later date, before 2006.