- 1884 - Bell Farm House detail
Photo: McCord Museum, Notman Collection: V1385 - taken 1884 - Bell Farm headquarters stone house in 1884, from the northeast. Note the addition of a small verandah to the front, and parging over the rubble stone to give the appearance of cut stone. Major Bell probably standing at the far right on the verandah, and perhaps Mrs. Bell in the doorway and possibly A.J. Osment at the far left.. Photo by William M. Notman, Montreal, for the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. (Source: McCord Museum, View-1385)
- 1884 - Bell Farm sketch by T.H. Thomas
Thomas visited the Bell Farm along with members of the British Association on Oct. 25, 1884 - Sketch of the Bell Farm in 1884, likely based on memory. A portion of the round barn is shown at the far right. There are many embellishments on the main house that did not exist. Source: Glembow Museum & Archives: NA 1406-143: Sketch of the Bell Farm, Oct. 25, 1884, by T.H. Thomas, during the visit by members of the British Association.
- 1884 - BellFarm sketch 1884 square
- 1884 - Detail of Bell Farm from east.
Photo: McCord Museum, Notman Collection: V1387 - taken 1884 - The Bell Farm headquarters, north of Indian Head, as seen from the east. Left to right: Two storey main stone house, round stone barn, blacksmith shop, stores building, and a large T-shaped barn. Photo by William M. Notman, Montreal, for the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. (Source: McCord Museum, View-1387)
- 1884 - Detail of the Bell Barn and horses
Photo: McCord Museum, Notman Collection: V1388 - taken 1884
- 1905 (?) - Brass door knobs from the Bell Farmhouse
These door knobs were salvaged by the Holden family before the house was demolished. They were donated by Eleanor Holden to the Bell Barn Society on April 28, 2010. It was initially thought that they were part of the original interior decor of the Bell Farmhouse, dating to its 1882 construction. However, subsequent research confirms that the brass door knobs were made at Lyons, Iowa, by the United States Steel Lock Company in 1907 or earlier. (Lyons was later annexed by the neighbouring town of Clinton.) A catalogue from that date confirms that the design of the Bell Farm door knobs is identical to those illustrated in the Lyons catalogue. Exactly when these decorative brass door knobs were installed in the Bell Farmhouse is still unknown; however they may have been part of renovations undertaken by Harry Campkin, who took over the house in 1903. Harry was initially employed at the Bell Farm around 1885-1890, and later became owner of the Bell Farm with his brother-in-law William Lee from 1903 until 1912. Campkin seems to have been reasonably well off, and could afford to build the new wrap-around verandah shown in historic photos of that era, as well as undertake some major interior renovations. The fancy newel post might also have been part of a general upgrading of the house at that time. The Indian Head history book mentions on p. 310 that ”During the [Campkins’] residency the house was modernized, electricity and hot water piping being installed . . . and the grounds were designed and kept in the style of an English country estate, including a tennis court.” Sounds like the Campkins could well afford to also install some new door knobs.
Indian Head history: p. 310. History of Warner Lock Company, later bought out by U.S. Steel - http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll3/id/5/rec/6 Warner Lock: https://books.google.ca/books?id=MWshVH11OswC&pg=PA518&lpg=PA518&dq=warner+Lock+Company+catalogue,+iowa&source=bl&ots=uOJeNkKndc&sig=ACfU3U2iYeBhFy79Z-xYbd2e2SeTZpLNnw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji36fI_77qAhXrJzQIHS0UBaEQ6AEwEnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=warner%20Lock%20Company%20catalogue%2C%20iowa&f=false Catalogue, US Steel, Lyons, p. 93 - https://www.antiquedoorknobs.org/uploads/7/3/6/9/73695709/ussteellock1907preview.pdf Affairs of the Warner Lock Company Chicago, p. 634 - https://archive.org/details/IronAgeVol54Oct111894/page/n129/mode/2up Warner Lock Company, Dec. 1898 was succeeded by the United States Steel Lock Company – p. 164 - https://archive.org/details/biographicalrecol00sjcl/page/164/mode/2up Jan. 27, 1900 - pg 17/ Mills and Factories/ Clinton IA/ “The United States Steel Lock Company has been incorporated with $100,000 capital stock” - https://books.google.ca/books?id=DD9FAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=twopage&q=%22united%20states%20steel%20lock%20company%22&f=false
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- 1905 (?) - Door Knobs - Lyons Design # 7 / 11
This is an extract of the 1907 United States Steel Company catalogue, promoting its Lyons door knobs and escutcheon plates.
Catalogue, p. 93 - https://www.antiquedoorknobs.org/uploads/7/3/6/9/73695709/ussteellock1907preview.pdf
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- 1910 - Cottage 4 - 1910 - Farmers Advocate - McDermid Farmhouse and Bell Farm Cottage
L-R: View of the new McDermid / McDermaid brick farmhouse (built c.1906); old Bell Farm Cottage # 4 (built 1882-83); two smaller buildings, including possibly the barn associated with the Cottage. The McDermid Farm buildings were located about one mile northeast of the main Bell Farmhouse. Malcolm McDermid married Sarah Berge on Jan. 1, 1896 and moved into the Bell Farm Cottage. Later they bought Sec. 1, Twp. 19, Rge 13, w2m from Major Bell or from the Trustees who sold off the Bell Farm after Major Bell left in 1896. The McDermids had five children: Hugh, George, Janet, Margaret and Donald.
"Farmers Almanac", 2 Nov 1910, p. 1566 - https://www.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.8_06921_248/14?r=0&s=4 Indian Head history, p. 526-527
Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- 1910s - Bell - Campkin Farmhouse SAB R B10,906
The Campkin family lived here from about 1903 until 1910. - The Campkin family lived in the old Bell Farmhouse from about 1903 until 1910. During that time they made a number of improvements to the property, including installation of electricity and hot water piping, as well as a telephone (apparently the telephone system installed by Major Bell in 1884 had long since been removed or ceased to operate). SOURCES: Photo: Sask Archives: R B 10,906 History of Indian Head & District, 1984,p. 310 Research by: Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon and Frank Korvemaker, Regina
- 1910s - Bell Farm House - Campkin Farm Residence
Harry Campkin and family lived here from about 1903 until 1910 - Bell Farmhouse c1903-1910 - Harry Campkin Residence - with new fence and verandah SOURCE: http://www.gallery.ca/sva/sk/ind_01/pg_14e.htm - Harry Campkin Residence photo Research by Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon
- 1910s - Bell Farm House - Campkin Farm Residence - Farmer's Advocate
View of the Bell Farmhouse (far left) and of the Bell Farm round barn (far right - hardly visible) during the years when the Campkin family owned the property.
"Farmers Advocate", 2 Jan, 1910, p. 1564 - https://www.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.8_06921_248/12?r=0&s=1
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.
- 1920s - Frank Holden family
The Holden family lived in the stone Farmhouse from about 1949 until about 1959 - Franklin Benjamin (Frank) and Winnifred (Price) Holden moved onto the home quarter of the Bell Farm in 1949 and lived there until his death in 1959. It was during this time that the massive stone Bell farmhouse was demolished and a new house built closer to the round barn. (Source: History of Indian Head and District, p. 451)
- 1923 - Bell Barn converted for use as a cattle barn - 1920s
Photo taken in 1923 - By the 1920s, the home portion of the Bell Farm had been acquired by the Holden family. The round barn was in the process of being converted from horse to cattle use, as is evident by the replacement of the small air vents with larger windows, so that there was more daylight inside the barn by which to milk the cows. At the time of this photo, 1923, the octagonal cupola on the roof had not yet been replaced by the round silo. Although trees have grown up around the house, the barn still stands on the open prairie. (Source: Todd Rennebohm, Indian Head)
- 1923 - Carriage and Cattle by Barn on the Holden Dairy Farm
Photo taken in 1923 - The northern segment of the Bell-Holden Dairy Farm photograph, showing part of the round stone barn, some of the frame outbuildings, a horse and rider, farm equipment, a covered buggy, and some cattle. (Source: Connie MacCrimmon)
- 1923 - Holden (Bell) Farmhouse - c1920
Photo donated by Connie (Bell) MacCrimmon - B.F. Holden bought the Bell Farmhouse and accompanying lands in 1917. This photo shows the Farmhouse in the 1920s, while occupied by the Holden family. The veranda has been reconstructed to wrap around both the south and east sides, and now includes a decorative railing and embellished front entry. A doorway has been cut through the central east window to provide access to a walkway at the second storey level. Also, the fieldstone walls have been covered with a layer of parging and scored to give the appearance of cut stone construction. Photo Source: Connie MacCrimmon