- Blenkin, Thomas and Rose Anna - Bell Farm employees
Thomas Blenkin was born in Clinton, Ontario in 1869; Rose Anna Newstead was born in 1868, also in Ontario, likely near Haliburton. Rose Anna moved West in 1880, eventually settling north of Balcarres, then to the Red Fox District, near Sintaluta, where she met Thomas Blenkin. Thomas Blenkin came West in 1891, settling south of Sintaluta in the Durham District. They were married in March 1892, and began married life working as a couple on the Bell Farm. Their son, Abraham was born on Feb. 5, 1893 - and probably also lived on the Bell Farm. Abraham was killed in a farm accident in 1908, at age 15. In 1897 the Blenkin family began to homestead on their own land in the Red Fox District, also near Sintaluta. In 1913 Thomas Blenkin accepted a job as farm instructor at the federal government's Indian Agency on the Assiniboine Reserve, SW of Sintaluta. He resigned in 1918, discouraged with the lack of progress in teaching farming to the aboriginal people. Thomas Blenkin died in December 1940; Rose Anna lived another 27 years, and died a month after she turned 100.
"Tales of the Red Fox: history of Assiniboine Reserve, Town of Sintaluta, Districts of Allindale, Durham, Blackwood, Red Fox and Spring Coulee", p. 306-309.
Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Saskatchewan
- BRAGG, Harry - Journalist with British Association Tour - 1884
Harry Bragg (1856-1931) was raised in Blackburn, Lancashire, and arrived in Canada in 1884 in time to secure a ticket for the British Association's tour of the Northwest. As the only Canadian journalist onboard the train, Bragg was able to "scoop" other papers and send his stories to “The Montreal Star”. He later became the financial and managing editor for “The Montreal Star” and in 1905 founded “The Municipal Review”.
https://static.torontopubliclibrary.ca/da/pdfs/37131055429096d.pdf Wm Bragg pg 2 “The Montreal Gazette”: July 31, 1884 - Invitation from H.J. Eberts for B.A. Tour Members to visit the Bell Farm “The Daily Province”: Oct. 14, 1905 (Vancouver BC) - "How Harry Bragg "Scooped" Down East Papers" “The Montreal Gazette”, March 28, 1931 - Harry Bragg / Professor Cheadle / Fr. Lacombe – 1884 B.A. Tour Photo source: “Canadian Division of the Institute of Journalists”, c.1911, p. 21 - https://www.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.85996/27?r=0&s=1 Obituary for Harry Bragg – “Newspaper World” 1931 - Mr. Harry Bragg , who has died at Montreal in his 75th year, was a native of Blackburn, Lancashire, and came to Canada in 1885 .He was for some time financial and commercial editor of The Montreal Star, and in 1905 founded The Municipal Review, which became the official organ of the Union of Municipalities. Mr. Bragg took an active interest in the affairs of St. Lambert, where he lived, and was chairman of the Protestant School Board.
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Braithwaite, Charles - Bell Farm Squatter
Charles Braithwaite (1850-1910) was born in England and became a key player in the Patrons of Industry. He briefly lived on or near the Bell Farm in 1882, "but" in his own words "like dozens of other good settlers was crowded out by the Bell Farm". He then returned to Portage la Prairie, where he had settled the previous year. For a while he was a provincial weed inspector, and ultimately moved to British Columbia, where he died.
http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/people/braithwaite_c.shtml CharlesBraithwaite.jpeg source: The "Winnipeg Daily Tribune" pg 5 - April 21, 1894
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.
- Brassey Barn - 12 Aug 2015 - facing Northwest
Photo by Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask, 12 August 2015.
- Brassey Barn - 27 April 2016
View of the west end of the Brassey Barn. Photo by Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Saskatchewan, 27 April 2016.
- Brassey Barn - 29 May 2020
In the spring of 2020, a small tornado nicked the northwest corner of the Brassey Barn, tearing off part of the roof and breaking windows and doors. Photo by Margaret Hryniuk, Regina, Saskatchewan - 29 May 2020.
- Brassey Barn - 29 May 2020
Lumber ripped off the Brassey Barn when a tornado passed nearby in the spring of 2020. One rafter from the northwest corner was thrown like a javelin and stuck in the ground considerably east of the building. Debris from the roof can be seen on the ground to the right. Photo by Margaret Hryniuk, Regina, Saskatchewan,- 29 May 2020.
- Bready, Thomas Turnnel Wadsworth
Visited the Bell Farm on September 7, 1893. Thomas Bready (1854-1903) was a grain merchant and, as such, became a prominent capitalist and President of the Winnipeg Elevator Company. While at the Bell Farm, he "pronounced the wheat the best he had seen during his travels this season". His strong affiliation with wheat production might well have put him in association with Major Bell after the Bell family returned to Winnipeg in 1901.
photo source - http://archive.org/stream/representativeme00winnuoft#page/76/mode/2up Bell Farm visit - "Winnipeg Free Press" - Sept. 14, 1893 Obituary - "Winnipeg Free Press" - Jan. 15, 1903 Obituary - “Houston Daily Post”, Jan. 27, 1903, , Page 10, col. 1 Portrait - http://krassoc.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/thomas-t-w-bready-wesleyan-methodist-member-bosanquet-township-lambton-county/ Biography: Memorable Manitobans - http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/people/bready_ttw.shtml Bready interview - “The Saint Paul Globe.”, November 25, 1896, Page 6, col. 3 Bready comments - “The Minneapolis Journal”, August 24, 1901, Page 2, col. 5
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.
- BRUCE, Francis Carmichael - Bell Farm Investor
Francis Carmichael Bruce was one of the original Investors in the Bell Farm. The "Canada Gazette" for March 1882 (p. 1615), lists the men involved with incorporating the Qu'Appelle Valley Farming Company. F.C. Bruce is one of the provisional directors. However, his name is absent from the subsequent 1884 list of elected Directors, which could mean that he lost heart or was unable to come up with the financial resources needed to remain with the Company. His occupation as a seedsman in Hamilton would have been particularly appropriate in light of the proposed agricultural business of the new Company.
photo: "Men of Canada: A portrait Gallery" https://archive.org/stream/menofcanadaportr00coopuoft#page/250/mode/2up Hamilton, the Birmingham of Canada - https://archive.org/stream/hamiltonbirmingh00hamiuoft#page/n97/mode/2up Ontario Mutual Life/ Board of Directors - https://archive.org/stream/cihm_41374#page/n25/mode/2up "Canada Gazette", 1882: http://books.google.ca/books?id=8Bc-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1615&dq=%22+qu'appelle+valley%22+%22+engineer%22+%221882%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=EVPcU8S1HsjZoATIoYDIDw&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAA#v=snippet&q=carmichael&f=false http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Carmichael_Bruce
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.
- Bunn, John - stonemason
John Robinson Bunn (1860-1939) was born in Quebec, and moved into Ontario in 1871 and then to Winnipeg in 1886. He married Annie Sophia Rich in 1883. Trained in Ontario as a stonemason, he plied that trade for a number of years, but eventually focused on farming and various business ventures. During his stone masonry era, John Bunn built, or helped to build, the following stone buildings: • c1889 - John & Annie Bunn farmhouse, south of Qu'Appelle - status undetermined • 1890 - Sunny South School, near Indian Head - status undetermined • 1891 - Sunbeam Barn (Brassey Farm), SW of Indian Head - abandoned • 1894 - Leonard G. Bell farmhouse and barn, south of Qu’Appelle – house demolished; barn still extant in 2018 • 1897 - Motherwell Farmhouse, south of Abernethy – National Historic Site • 1900-1901 - Inglewood School, near Qu’Appelle - demolished ca. 1967 While farming, he became a member of the first Rural Municipal Council of Qu'Appelle; was a member of the I.O.O.F., and belonged to the Liberal Association in his region. In 1899, Bunn moved to Milestone and opened a lumber, coal and wood supply store. He became active in local politics and was elected mayor of Milestone during 1908. In addition, he represented various businesses and organizations, including: Massey-Harris Implement Company; Canadian Pacific Railway Land Department; the Hudson Bay Company; the Canada North-West Land Company; and served as sub-agent for the Dominion Lands Office in the Milestone region. In 1908 John Bunn was a member of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange, and he was a business partner in the following agricultural businesses: Bunn Bros. Ltd,; Bunn-Munro Elevator Company; and the Blanchard Grain Company. He also became a charter member of the Leader Publishing Company, which published the "Regina Leader" (now the "Regina Leader-Post"), and became vice-president of that company. About 1910 the family moved to Saskatoon; and in 1919 John and Annie retired to Victoria, British Columbia, where John died in 1939 and Annie in 1954.
Photo Source: Bunn family - taken Aug. 22, 1880. Correspondence from Lois Powell, great-granddaughter, April 2021 "Indian Head & District History", p. 101-103 "History of Milestone: 1893-1910" by A.W. Garrett, 1947 "From Prairie Plow Till Now", 1984 "Qu'Appelle: Footprints to Progress", p. 182, 203, and 370-373 "Qu'Appelle Progress", Dec. 16, 1886 "Regina Leader" - various issues from 1900 until 1937. Obituary - "Regina Leader-Post" - 18 May, 1939, p. 11
Lois Powell, Port Alberni, British Columbia; Margaret Hryniuk, Regina, Sask; and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- Burgess, A.M.
Visited the Bell Farm in June or July, 1884. Alexander Mackinnon Burgess (1850-1898) was born in Scotland, and emigrated to Canada in 1871, where he worked as a journalist for the Toronto Globe and the Ottawa Times. Burgess joined the federal civil service in 1876, and became Deputy Minister of the Interior on July 1, 1883. He travelled throughout the West in the summer of 1884. Part of his journey included discussions relating to squatters at the Bell Farm and other locations. Burgess was demoted to Commissioner of Dominion Lands after the Liberal government of Sir Wilfrid Laurier was elected in 1896. He died iof a stroke two years later.
Annual Report of the Department of the Interior for the Fiscal Year pgs 13-16 http://books.google.ca/books?id=7QpOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=%22Scarth%22++%22Bell+farm%22&source=bl&ots=XVEMAM3a-B&sig=skIkhyOD31wjLmCco-SBvxbDHkM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hMDnUM_FFYSk8gS4_oGwCA&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBw#v=snippet&q=Bell%20farm&f=false Annual Report of the Department of the Interior for the Fiscal Year pgs 13-16 Biography: http://books.google.ca/books?id=7QpOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=%22Scarth%22++%22Bell+farm%22&source=bl&ots=XVEMAM3a-B&sig=skIkhyOD31wjLmCco-SBvxbDHkM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hMDnUM_FFYSk8gS4_oGwCA&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBw#v=snippet&q=Bell%20farm&f=false
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask. and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- BURWELL, Julius H. - Bell Farm Investor
In 1884, Jule H. BURWELL (1846-1927) owned an agricultural firm in St Paul, Minnesota that specialized in farm machinery, implements and carriages. In 1886 he is listed as a vice-president for the Rabbit Mountain silver mine, near Port Arthur (now Thunder Bay), Ontario, in which Major Bell was also owned shares. Burwell was deemed to be a prominent St. Paul businessman, and in 1892 he was elected president of the State Agricultural Society. However, a year later he was also involved with a $50,000 embezzlement scandal, which resulted in his resignation from the firm of Mast, Buford and Burwell Carriage Company. There is no indication on the outcome of this charge. However, Burwell moved out of his brand new luxury house in St. Paul in 1894.
Photo: "St. Paul Daily Globe", Oct. 2, 1892, p. 12 – http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90059522/1892-10-02/ed-1/seq-13/%3Bwords%3D/?date1=1836&rows=20&searchType=advanced&proxdistance=5&state=Minnesota&date2=1922&ortext=&proxtext=&phrasetext=jh+burwell&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&index=0 Burwell’s house on Summet Avenue, in St. Paul, 1904 - http://www.angelfire.com/mn/thursdaynighthikes/summiteast4.html "History of St. Paul and Vicinity", by Henry A. Castle, 1912, p. 428 - http://archive.org/stream/historyofstpaulv01cast#page/428/mode/2up "History of the Minnesota State Agricultural Society", by Darwin S. Hall and R.I. Holcombe, 1910, p. 244 - http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nnc1.cu50589806;view=image;q1=Burwell;start=1;size=100;page=root;seq=252;num=244 "Grand Opening of the Northern Pacific Railway celebration at St. Paul, Minnesota, the Eastern Terminus - Sept. 3, 1883", compiled by J.H. Hanson, p. 30 - http://archive.org/stream/grandopeningofno00nortrich#page/n37/mode/2up/search/burwell "Indianapolis News", Sept. 23, 1893, p. 8 – Burwell embezzlement charge details - https://newspapers.library.in.gov/cgi-bin/indiana?a=d&d=INN18930922-01.1.8 - Rabbit Mountain Silver Mine - https://books.google.ca/books?id=aH9OAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA374&dq=%22port+arthur%22+%22JH+burwell%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw65mMl_7LAhXozoMKHZcjDRQQ6AEIGzAA#v=snippet&q=rabbit%20mountain&f=false http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90059522/1892-10-02/ed-1/seq-13/%3Bwords%3D/?date1=1836&rows=20&searchType=advanced&proxdistance=5&state=Minnesota&date2=1922&ortext=&proxtext=&phrasetext=jh+burwell&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&index=0 https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Burwell-668
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask. and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- CALCRAFT, Joseph & Emma Calcraft family
PHOTO: Joseph Parnham Calcraft (back row, third from left, with moustache) and his parents [Joseph & Anne Elizabeth] and siblings in England, about 1899, several years before he sailed to Canada in 1903. Joseph and Emma Calcraft migrated from Hull, England to Canada in April 1903. Joseph was born in 1879, and died at age 77 in 1956. Emma Hammond (1877-1962) married Joseph on 19 June 1900. Both are buried in the Indian Head Cemetery. They had a daughter, Florence, in England, and four sons in Canada: Harold, Cyril, Charles and Francis. The Calcrafts initially lived and worked on land formerly part of the Bell Farm, owned by Harry Campkin during the time the Calcraft family lived there. In 1904 the family moved into town, where Joseph worked for A.M. Fraser, a local architect and contractor. Later he worked as a caretaker for the Indian Head School Board; and then took out a homestead to farm on his own.
"INDIAN HEAD: History of Indian Head and District", p. 307-308 Marriage Announcement: 28 June 1900: Grantham Journal, p. 6 Calcraft family history: https://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/content/category/people/village-families/calcraft-family-at-home-and-abroad
Bill Pinfold, Sharnbrook, England; and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- CAMPKIN, Harry H. - Bell Farm employee
Harry Herbert Campkin (1869-1941) came to Indian Head in 1885 and started the first school in the community. According to a 1905 Des Moines newspaper article, he also worked at the Bell Farm for a while shortly after he arrived here. In 1892 he married Ida Lee, and in 1903 Harry and Roger Lee (Ida's father) bought the half section of farm land that included the Bell Farmhouse, round stone barn and other buildings. From about 1903 until 1910 Harry, Ida and their three children (Wilbert, Kathleen and Frances) lived in the stone farmhouse and made a number of improvements, including installation of electricity, hot water piping and (again) a telephone. The Campkins sold their interest in the farms, and moved to Regina in 1912, where Harry worked in general insurance and hail insurance. A member of the Indian Head Masonic Lodge since 1890, Harry Campkin was elected Worshipful Master of the Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan in 1906 and 1907. During the time that the Campkins owned the Bell Farmhouse, they also added a tennis court and enhanced the horticultural aspect of the property.
"History of Indian Head and District", 1984, p. 310 http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=546366) Campkin photo: 1906 Compliments of: Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Regina, Sask. Bell - Campkin Farmhouse photo - http://www.gallery.ca/sva/sk/ind_01/pg_14e.htm Indian Head school - http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=546130 "Des Moines Register" (Newspaper) July 5, 1905
Michelle Cabana, Saskatoon, Sask.and Frank Korvemaker, Regina, Sask.
- Canadian Alliance Farm - Headquarters - near Indian Head - 1
Historic photo donated to the Bell Barn Society of Indian Head by Antony Chapman, Wendover, England. Reproduction Not Permitted at this time.